Emission Solutions

Important Info on California Air Resources Board (CARB) Air Regulations


The off-road mobile diesel regulation affects any owner with any mobile equipment with diesel engines 25 horsepower or larger. Only owners who use their off-road mobile diesel vehicles exclusively in the agricultural industry are exempt. As of January 1, 2014 all portions of the regulation are fully enforceable. To see key aspects of the off-road regulation go here: More Info


CARB has several on-road diesel vehicle regulations. In-use regulations for on-road diesel vehicles used in municipalities, solid waste handling, utilities, and for drayage are complete, and vehicles subject to those regulations must already be in 100% compliance. Diesel on-road vehicles used in private fleets are now subject to the on-going Truck and Bus regulation. All of these regulations required owners to install diesel particulate filters (DPF) to reduce particulate matter (PM) emissions. The Truck and Bus regulation also requires vehicle replacement or retirement to reduce NOx emissions. These regulations exempt 100% emergency vehicles from any compliance requirements. To see more on the Truck and Bus regulation go here: More Info


CARB’s has two portable engine regulations. CARB’s Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP) regulation provides for statewide permitting of portable engines and equipment to allow more flexibility to operate this equipment in multiple air districts within California. CARB also has a regulation that affects the overall fleet particulate Matter (PM) emissions levels either by older engine phase-out or PM fleet emissions average. Amendments to these regulations went into effect 11/30/2018. For more information on these portable equipment regulations, go here: More Info


This regulation, which required owners of propane, natural gas, gasoline and electric forklifts, sweepers/scrubbers, industrial tow tractors, and airport ground support equipment to improve their in-use equipment NOx emissions between 2007 and 2013 has been re-opened to incorporate reporting and equipment labeling requirements to ensure full compliance. For more info on this regulatory change, go here: More Info


In addition to the CARB regulations explained above, there are many more regulations that may affect your business, including those pertaining to stationary, marine and industrial engines and equipment, in-use programs for port operations, and on-road vehicles operated by municipalities, utility companies and solid waste collection vehicles. For more information, please see the following links:

More Helpful Links to CARB and Air Districts Covering Quinn Locations


Quinn’s sales and product support representatives can assist you with equipment solutions that will help you stay in compliance with the many CARB emissions regulations. In addition to Caterpillar equipment, Quinn offers a variety of allied equipment solutions.


For off-road machine replacement solutions, contact our sales representatives at your nearest Quinn Company location. For machine engine solutions, contact your Quinn Product Support Representative. If you do not know who your Product Support Representative is, please call 562-205-4107.

Portable, Stationary, and Industrial Engines

We also provide solutions for your portable, stationary, and industrial engines. Contact our sales representatives at your nearest Quinn power Systems location. If you do not know who your representative is, please call 559-891-5402.

Lift Trucks

Forklift and reachlift solutions will be necessary in meeting the off-road diesel and large spark-ignited regulations. Our lift sales representatives can provide you with the right solution. If you do not know who your representative is, please call 559-891-5449.

Emissions Regulations

Understanding the multitude of complex state and local emissions regulations and how they affect your fleets or business operations can be difficult. We can help you determine what emissions regulations apply to your business and help you find solutions to keep you in compliance. For information call 562-463-6013.