ThinkBig Frequently Asked Questions:
What are the requirements for admission into the program?
- Complete a Quinn Company ThinkBIG application
- Successfully complete an interview with the ThinkBIG coordinator and a service manager
- Pass a drug and background test
- Complete a Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test
- Successfully complete college placement testing with a level 3 in composition, level 2 in math and level 2 in reading (you must also have 2 semesters of high school Algebra with a minimum of a “C” in both semesters)
- Complete a 250-word essay of why you are interested in becoming a technician, what your ambitions are and why you would be successful in this program
- Provide three letters of recommendation
What is the cost of the program?
Books and tuition costs are paid for by Quinn Company. Monthly rent is paid upfront by Quinn Company and reimbursed through payroll deduction.
What is included in the curriculum?
Your core Caterpillar classes include diesel engines, hydraulic systems, fuel systems, electrical systems, undercarriage/final drives, diagnostic testing, fundamentals of transmissions and torque converters, welding, and diesel air conditioning.
What will I do during my internship?
You will work directly with machines and engines, assist trained technicians, and learn how it feels to be a valuable member of the Quinn Company family. You will work with mentors in the service area including the main shop, field service, welding shop, and more. Students work while classes are not in session at San Joaquin Delta College. This includes opportunities for extra hours and income during semester and holiday breaks when available.